5 Electrical Safety Tips For Your Home

5 Electrical Safety Tips For Your Home

Electrical safety is important in every home. Electric shocks are a real risk if your electrical systems are not well maintained. To get the highest standard of electrical safety around your home, there are a few things you can do. This guide includes five electrical safety tips that you can implement in your home today. Although they might seem obvious, these tips cover some of the most commonly overlooked areas of electrical safety.

Throw away old and damaged appliances

Electrical appliances have developed a great deal in the last ten years. Domestic electrical systems, such as those around your home, have also changed considerably. As a result, some old appliances simply aren’t suitable for modern electrical systems anymore. This is compounded by damage and deterioration that occurs in all appliances over time. If you have a particularly old appliance such as an old over, fridge or washing machine, then you should consider upgrading. As the components within old appliance deteriorate, the risk of fire or electric shock increases.

Never use appliances with exposed wiring or damaged power cords

Exposed wires are a silent threat that often goes unnoticed until it is too late. You should check the condition of power cords and power sockets throughout your house regularly. If the power cords of your appliances are showing signs of damage, then you should remove them from the power source. Only do so if it is safe, however. From there, you can consider repairing or replacing them. If your power sockets are showing exposed wires, then you should stay well away from them. To ensure your safety, turn off the mains power if you cans safely access it. You should also contact a qualified electrician immediately.

Don’t overload power points

Overloaded power points are a very common cause of electrical fires. Even though double adaptors and other such electrical fittings are common, they are not always safe. You should never run more than the recommended number of appliances from a power outlet. This is especially important if you have old power sockets. Older sockets are less equipped to supply power in large quantities to your appliances. This means that overloading them can very easily cause a fire.

Don’t touch wet electrical outlets

Water and electricity should never be near each other. As you are probably aware, water conducts electricity exceptionally well. This means that wet electrical fittings are a serious electrical hazard. In fact, wet appliances can cause fatal electrocution. Never position electrical appliances such as toasters or hairdryers near a sink or bathtub. If they come in contact with the water, while you are in it, then you will be electrocuted. You should ensure that children are supervised when using electrical appliances. It might also be a good idea to educate them of the importance of electrical safety.

Always get a licensed electrician to do the wiring in your home

Finally, never attempt electrical work on your own. Electrical systems are complicated and one wrong move could mean electrocution. Not only this, but poorly done electrical work will also damage the expensive appliances and electrical fittings around your home. DIY electrical work is not just dangerous; it is illegal. If you want to do electrical work, you must have the appropriate qualifications and licences.

Only ever use qualified electricians to do your electrical work. It is even worth confirming that an electrician has the relevant qualifications before you hire them to do your work. If you keep these electrical safety tips in mind around your home, then you will be at no risk of electrocution. With these tips, your expensive appliances and electrical systems will also be protected.

For more electrical safety tips, speak to the experts at K Electrical today on (07) 4152 2177.

 

Comments are closed.